Saturday, June 23, 2007

Mark Jenkins


I was sent a link to Mark Jenkins street installations and other art.
I think I like this hoody more.


I appreciate the spirit in which he gives a tutorial in html, video, and at WikiHow to essentially open-source his technique!


Blog reports of his work are here and here. The Wooster Collective has a profile of him from the Washington Post and has other posts, including the giraffe. Turns out he is a Virginia Tech grad who taught English in Rio de Janeiro before getting into tape.

Although outdoor tape sculptures might seem to be an unconscionable source of pollution, from an environmental point of view, apparently there are some brands of biodegradable tape, so it doesn't have to be that way.

I think the human form is very powerful and have wanted for years to do some life-size paper-mache (papier-mâché) buddhas. I am thinking now about whether the tape-casting technique could be combined with papier-mâché to make a kind of mold, either by filling it with a starchy paper material which could then dry by perforating the tape with tiny holes, or by papering over the tape-mold.

No comments: