Sunday, July 09, 2006

The Final Report of Mr Higashi Take


This particular bamboo appeared around June 15th (I didn't notice it for a while) and was 97 cm on the 18th. These are pictures of July 3rd, July 4th, and July 8th. As of July 8th, it has reached its full size (or so I hope) about a meter or more above the eaves of the sunshine-stealing steel apartment building next door. Calculating the height is perhaps my first opportunity to use the trig functions of sin, cos, and tan they went to so much work to teach us in high school. Unfortunately, I was unable to recover any memories of those traumatic experiences. Carrying on, I would estimate the height as probably 250 cm or a skosh more for each floor, 30 to 50 cm above the ground for the ground floor, and a meter on top of that. That's around 6 m or 650 cm in twenty-three days of growth. That comes to 28 cm a day, or more than a centimeter an hour, as I observed earlier. That's nearly a foot a day or just under an inch added every 2 hours, 24 hours a day, for this short bamboo sprouting season which is basically June.
There is a chance that in a typhoon it will blow around a lot and whack the hell out of those rain gutters, so if I don't want to take a chance and wait and see, I should snag it and cut off the top, making this the Final Report of Mr Take.

No comments: