Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Suspected Actual Abraham Lincoln Quotes

I haven't been able to find old Abe arguing for hanging legislative opponents anywhere, but here are some possibly authentic quotes from him.

When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad, and that is my religion.

'Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Whenever I hear anyone arguing for slavery, I feel a strong impulse to see it tried on him personally.

The probability that we may fail in the struggle ought not to deter us from the support of a cause we believe to be just.

Whatever you are, be a good one.

When you have got an elephant by the hind leg, and he is trying to run away, it's best to let him run.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.

If I were two-faced, would I be wearing this one?

If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee.

Force is all-conquering, but its victories are short-lived.

He can compress the most words into the smallest ideas of any man I ever met.

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

No man has a good enough memory to make a successful liar.

No man is good enough to govern another man without that other's consent.

Tact is the ability to describe others as they see themselves.

You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time.
Sources:
http://www.quotationspage.com/quotes/Abraham_Lincoln
http://home.att.net/~howingtons/abe.html
http://home.att.net/~rjnorton/Lincoln78.html

No comments: