Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Photo hosting notes

I thought this was a good explanation of the differences between Flickr, Photobucket, Zooomr, YouTube, and others.
http://www.simran.in/blog/2006/05/dont-fear-the-bucket/
http://www.simran.in/blog/admin/dont-fear-the-bucket
When I started posting photos online in 2000, I used iTools, a free 50 MB website offered by Apple. It has evolved into something much better called .mac now, but they charge for it. With all the free photo hosting sites online, it's probably not worth it, if I could migrate all the photos and pages on the site elsewhere. I am keeping .mac until I can move it, but who knows if the site I move it to would close down soon? I also think of it as a hundred buck donation to Apple to help keep Bill Gates under control, but with the iPod and Pixar, Steve Jobs probably doesn't need the shot in the arm.

By the way, I think that the iPod will eventually go the way of the calculator or digital watch; become a cheap piece of circuitry and flash memory that you get in a cereal box.

1 comment:

Smaran said...

Hey, thanks for the link. I'm glad you liked my little comparison. I'm thinking of buying a .Mac account. It seems pretty useful if you have a Mac. iSync over Macs, a @mac.com email address, iWeb (which is awesome!) and more. It's rather expensive though.