Friday, October 13, 2006

Official seals, church signs, cassettes, and Planet Jonestown

Says-it.com has some interesting web-based image generators such as the Official Seal generator, the church sign generator, and the cassette tape generator, among others. The Official Seal generator is worth looking at, since there are many wingdings and other possible images. It could save you some time if you ever needed something like this.


Here is my example of a church sign. I didn't have space to add "THAT GOES FOR MOHAMMED TOO." I guess it's a job for Photoshop the free open-source image editor of your choice, after all. This will only let me fit in 10 short words, not 15.
Below this was my attempt to make an "album art" to visually represent the Jonestown Death Tape, which is available at http://www.archive.org/details/ptc1978-11-18.flac16 for anyone else interested in the social psychology of that event. Regarding that, I concur with the comments by "brainfuzz":

…these tapes were quite enlightening. Moreso from the perspective of drawing parallels between the language used by Jones and the language used by media and world leaders. Compare it to the language that is used in advertisements for the armed forces, for example.
I thought it could replace the Jim Jones shot to the left as album art, but I guess that tape looks sort of overproduced. As if we all listened to it on our car stereos. According to an academic site at SDSU for studying the Jonestown phenomena, The Jonestown Institute, the real tapes looked more like this, below.

1 comment: