Monday, March 05, 2007

The Corporation soundtrack & more free music

Even before downloading the movie, I grabbed the official soundtrack for The Corporation, composed by Leonard J. Paul. It is available from two sites, Kikapu or the Internet Archive. The liner notes are a great insight into the composer's creative process, and the audio is released with cover art.

While at the Internet Archive, I visited the Live Music Archive and looked up a few concerts. I found that the collection had grown. I downloaded some recent shows by 311, Cowboy Junkies, Rusted Root, Death Cab for Cutie, String Cheese Incident, Dear Leader, and Blues Traveler. I think it is the first time to add those last three artists to my collection. I just chose Dear Leader from their name and because they had a fair number of concerts available. They are not bad, a good discovery. Found out more at last.fm. Similar to The Corporation, downloading a zipped folder of the entire show encoded as variable bit rate mp3s seemed like the best file choice to me. Most of the ID3 tags were in order most of the time, except year and genre. Too bad there are no jpegs of the live shows bundled in there.

I could be wrong, but I get the feeling that the Live Music Archive isn't terribly popular. That could be good if the artists worry less about the massive availability of recorded shows diminishing demand for live performance tickets. I don't think they approach it that way, more as promotion for the concert. Note that many of the bands such as SCI, RR, and CJ are known for doing good live shows. You do need to have your lo-fi toleration filter turned up to get into these; the audio is as bad as a real life show, only without the visuals.

No comments: