Monday, November 06, 2006

Cherokee Nation Will Return

I got this e-mail ephemera (huh?) in my inbox the other day (from a non-Cherokee). It seemed like I'd seen it before.

"Native American Wisdom"

An old Cherokee was teaching his grandson about life. "A fight is
going on inside me," he said to the boy. "It is a terrible fight,
and it is between two wolves.

"One is evil--he is anger, envy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance,
self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride,
superiority, and ego.

"The other is good--he is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity,
humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth,
compassion, and faith.

"This same fight is going on inside you and inside every other
person, too."

The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his
grandfather, "Which wolf will win?"

The old Cherokee simply replied, "The one you feed."
I read it and fired off a quick "reply to all" as follows:
Dear Dances-with-Wolves Landers,

Thank you for your ancient wisdom.

In my case, my inner poodle is always barking and biting in a fight
with my inner Golden Retriever. What should I do?

Doggedly,
Barks-at-moon-and-bites-off-chicken-heads Wilson



Dear BAMaBOCH Wilson,

In your case, do not feed either dog. Shoot dogs, and get cat instead.

Your old Cherokee wise guy,
Dances-with-Wolves Landers


No comments: