Sunday, October 29, 2006

Caveat Lector

For years, I've thought that "Caveat Lector" was a combination of "Caveat Emptor" and Hannibal Lecter. Today, I find out that "Caveat Lector" is a fully legitimate Latin phrase in its own write, and that "Caveat Lecter" is only either a misspelling or a pun by movie reviewers who also happen to be scholars of ancient Latin. I blame my Latin instructor for this misunderstanding; I am self-taught.

I was thinking of this today because Mr Halliburton "Dick" Cheney was recently out of the Secure Undisclosed, walking around in public, possibly unarmed or only lightly armed, boasting of how a little water torture is just what the terrorists and/or illegally detained citizens need.

Dick always reminds me of Hannibal Lecter. How could he not, I wonder, and remind myself that none other than the Diebold corporation insist that his ticket got more votes than all but maybe one other candidate. I guess some people don't see him the way I do – the way he really is. For people without the vision-thing, here he is, in the low-res quality with which he appears to those of us who see his soul. He may be even scarier than the mothman.

No comments: